10.09.2010

Im not saying NO to that project ...

This task was especially difficult for me judging from the fact that one of my favorite statements is "no" followed by "don't," "I'm not," and "I can't."

I am pretty sure my place of employment has attempted to train me out of this incredibly poor habit for at least six months and kudos to them, they have done a better job at it than anyone ever has. Yet, still, my low self esteem (I will willingly admit that in this case) still tells me I cannot do things to the capacity that other people can. For instance, anything mathamatical, anything that includes following a recipe and anything that does not include someone being right there to ask an immediate question to.

BUT because this was don't say "no" day, I decided to take the challenge. And I was at work. Yes, this spelled trouble.

Of course, today was the day that my president came to me and told me that I was going to help him by trying to sell a list of mailing equipment to unknown mailing equipment buyers (by the way, I work for a copier sales company, in case  you didn't know). Now I don't know the FIRST thing about mailing equipment. Seriously. Shit is FOREIGN. HOWEVER, I couldn't say no. Not only because it was don't say no day but because it was my president.

So, I took the challenge, spent an entire day sending out emails to contacts I hoped were correct and developing an email list for future deals.

AND GUESS WHAT? I got responses of people interested. Of course, they wanted pictures which I did not have.

Email chain:

Customer: Do you have pictures?
Me: I am working on getting them.

Please note, I DID NOT SAY NO! Crazy-ness, pure crazy-ness.

Somewhere mid afternoon when most of the frustration wore off something clicked. I realized if I just stopped saying no ... or more like stopped doubting myself all together ... I could really open up opportunities to myself. I mean think about it, if that equipment sells for $20,000 and we buy it for $15,000 I just made the company $5,000 AND I could open up a whole new aspect of the business.

Maybe that won't happen, potentially it will fall through, but if I said no, I wouldn't even have the chance to develop something new.

So lesson learned, take on new things and conquer the fear. I've let fear rule for far too long. It's time to let a little faith in.

No comments:

Post a Comment