2.28.2012

52 Book Challenge - Book Eleven: Safe Haven

Of course you know that when books starting getting too serious and thought provoking, we always have Nicholas Sparks to turn to. In my time of need after my previous read that questioned love I felt it necessary to reassure myself that unconditional, unrealistic and heroic love do indeed exist by turning to the tried and true classic formula love story.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

While some people get bored, even exhasperated with the formula love story, I eat it up like apple pie ala mode. It is the guilty pleasure of my reading experience. In fact, I enjoy it so much I usually read some kind of gooshy book at least once per month.

And do you know why? Because life is too damn full of negative. At least these characters have a positive outcome in the end. So love on Nicholas Sparks characters! True love does exist. Love conquers all evil. Love is patient, love is kind. Etc, etc.


The story is about a woman introduced to us as Katie. She is hiding something and we do not know at first but she is starting over in a small southern town. We come to learn she is running from an abusive husband. While starting over, she meets Alex, a store owner in town with two children whose wife has passed away from a terminal illness. Alex and Katie inevitably fall in love and are initially brought together by Katie's compassion for his children.

The budding relationship between the two is juxtaposed with flashbacks of the past and how Katie (whose real name is Erin) ended up in town. Eventually we gain the perspective of both Katie and the abusive husband she has left behind. While she is moving on with her life and finally gaining courage to stop feeling followed, he is on the desperate hunt for her. And did I mention, of course, he is a cop.

Inevitably, the husband finds Katie and comes to get her. Let's not ruin his psychopathic rampage by going into description here ... that part is half the fun (the other half being unconditional love). To top it off there is also a supernatural twist (oh yea, it goes there and I LOVE all over it). In the end ... well I'm sure you can guess what happens ...

Nicholas Sparks = Fairytales for adult princesses

No comments:

Post a Comment