11.10.2012

The Effects of a Negative Work Environment

Recently I have come to realize that a negative work environment can have much more of an impact on you than people would assume or admit.

Having gotten a new (dream) job, I can see with an enlightened perspective how my internal, mental health has improved, bringing along with it more satisfaction in my personal relationships and realization of my value as an individual in addition to less fear for the future.

Yes, all of this by just changing a job.

Surely I am exaggerating, you say. But no, anyone who has worked in a negative, borderline abusive and demeaning job will know exactly what I am describing. Escaping (and yes, this is the best term I can apply) feels what I would imagine emancipation felt like for the slaves (okay, maybe not that glorious, but you get the idea). To have your ideas, education, talents and skills appreciated by your superiors feels initially like someone speaking a different language.

What? You want MY opinion? You VALUE me? What is this? This is what I find myself frequently asking in my head. As an educated, fairly intelligent, diligent and organized employee, I knew inside that this is always how I should have been treated, hence my chronic unhappiness due to being under-appreciated. I liken it to an mentally abusive relationship (of which I also have experience). You find yourself doing something in your new relationship that the other person would have berated you for in your old relationship and expect the rant to begin when it dawns on you, YOU ARE FREE! Free at last! And oh is it a feeling I treasure with all of my heart.

So when you are feeling down, take some time to examine what it is that is truly affecting you and try with all of your might to get out of the situation. It may take three years (oh yes indeed) but you will not regret one interview, one tank of gas or one ream of paper wasted on resumes when you are finally appreciated for the competent worker you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment